Friday, July 31, 2026

Cinque Terre: A tourist favorite and one of Italy's oldest winemaking regions

Cinque Terre, on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline, is home to five historic towns  (Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore). Its coastline villages with pastel colored home perched on cliffs overlooking the sea, and the surrounding historic terraced vineyards on hillsides, are all part of the Cinque Terre National Park (established in October 1999) which, became a UNESCO World Heritage Site two years later. During our Mediterranean cruise last spring I took a one day tour of Cinque Terre. The tour included visiting three of those villages (Monterosso, Vernazza, and Riomaggiore). Ideally you need more time however, even on a tight time line, it was a good intro to Monterosso, Vernazza, and Riomaggiore. 
Cinque Terre, Italy © Spaswinefood 
Cinque Terre a top tourist attraction is one of Italy’s oldest winemaking regions. This region produces wine following a painstaking process, which has not changed much since Roman times. I loved the fact that the tour included a wine tasting, and some time on your own to enjoy some of the local cuisine.

During my March visit the weather was ideal. I would recommend visiting Cinque Terre in the shoulder seasons (spring or fall) when the weather is generally good because there are fewer tourists. In this post I will share some vignettes from my brief tour.

Off to Visit Cinque Terre's Villages
We traveled from Livorno's port to La Spezia where we continued onto Monterosso, the western most village in Cinque TerreSince vehicles can not travel beyond Monterosso visitors to Cinque Terre villages they must visit by train or boat to reach destinations beyond this point. For those with more time to explore Cinque Terre there are cliffside hiking trail links the villages, and offers sweeping sea vistas. For sure visitors delight in seeing its seaside villages with colorful houses and vineyards clinging to steep terraces. The harbors of Cinque Terra villages are filled with fishing boats. Its trattorias offer seafood specialties, and pastas with Liguria region’s famous sauce, pesto. 

Since Monterosso al Mare was the first village that we toured I will begin there, followed by Vernazza, and Riomaggiore.
Monterosso al Mare
As soon as we arrived we were off the bus, and walking down the cliffside to our first village stopover. 
Monterosso is the largest of the five villages.
Arriving at Monterosso © Spaswinefood 
As our local guide who took us on a tour of the village, she explained details along the way. Our first encounter was with a retired professor, a friend of the guide, who lives in the village.
Meeting a Friend, Monterosso © Spaswinefood 

We were introduced to how the local vineyards are managed in a steep terrace environment. The village
 is known for its white wines, grapes, and olivesMany lemon trees can be seen throughout Monterosso.  

While touring Old Town we stopped by a tower.
Monterosso Old Town Tower © Spaswinefood 
In the same plaza there was a church. 
Church, Monterosso © Spaswinefood 

After a very brief introduction we continued onto the harbor to take in views of 
Old Town and the ocean.
Touring Monterosso © Spaswinefood 
During our walk we visited an overlook point where I enjoyed taking in views Old Town and the ocean.
Sea View: Monterosso © Spaswinefood
After our walkabout I went back to an area, not far from the meet up point.
Old Town, Monterosso © Spaswinefood
Monterosso is the only town that allows vehicles in town.
Street View, Monterosso © Spaswinefood
I had time to enjoy coffee and a snack at a local cafe.
Time for Coffee: Monterosso © Spaswinefood
While in town I noticed an advertisement for wine tasting and a cooking class. The Cinque Terre is know for its pesto.
Experiences offered in Monterosso © Spaswinefood
After touring around town on my own 
I returned to the designated meet up point, at the tunnel entrance. Then we were off to the Train station on the other side of the tunnel.
Tunnel Entrance to Monterosso Train Station © Spaswinefood
Monterosso Train Station © Spaswinefood
Vernazza
Not long after boarding the train we arrived in Vernazza, an historical fishing village. Vernazza's colorful houses surround its small marina.  
Welcome to Vernazza © Spaswinefood 
After a brief introduction by our guide off we went on our own to explore. Even on an early spring time morning there were plenty of tourists out and about.
Exploring Vernazza © Spaswinefood 

Piazza Guglielmo Marconi, Vernazza © Spaswinefood 

The historic Santa Margherita di Antiochia Church (shown in the center of above photo)stands on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Ligurian Sea, just off the main square, Piazza Guglielmo Marconi. The church was built in 1318 in Gothic-Ligurian style. Its distinctive 40-meter-high octagonal bell tower is topped with an elegant cupola. The church is dedicated to Saint Margaret of Antioch, the patron saint of Vernazza.
Side Street, Vernazza © Spaswinefood 
During my walkout about I spotted plenty of souvenir type shops. Of course there was a wine shop, Enoteca La Cantina Del Molo.
Enoteca, Vernazza © Spaswinefood 
It was recommended to try the gelato and I did.
Gelateria Vernazza © Spaswinefood 
All too soon it was time to head to the pick up point.
Marina, Vernazza © Spaswinefood 
After further explorations, I went to the marine to take a boat to our next village.
Waiting for a Boat: Vernazza © Spaswinefood 
Soon we were off to our next stop Riomaggiore.
Traveling from Vernazza to Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 

Riomaggiore al Mare
It was not long before we were arriving in Riomaggiore, the most southern village in Cinque Terre.
Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre © Spaswinefood 
The town climbs up along the ridges overlooking the sea.
Colorful Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
It is captivating as Riomaggiore's stone houses with colored façades and slate-roofs come into full view.
Arriving in Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
Upon arrival we disembark, and are off to discover some of the village's delights.
Off to Explore Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
We begin with a stroll through the historic center.
Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
Upon arrival at our third village we had a wine tasting at Enoteca Internazionale. It was my opportunity to 
sample the local juice, Enoteca Internazionale in Monterosso’s old town, and opt for a flight of five Cinque Terre red or white wines–one from each town. 
Enoteca Internazionale, Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
For our tasting there were two white wines available for tasting.
Wine Tasting at Enoteca Internazionale © Spaswinefood 
Enoteca Internazionale, Monterosso © Spaswinefood 
I took a closer look at one of the wines poured.

Sassarini, Vendemmia Cinque Terre DOC 2024 
Sassarini, Vendemmia Cinque Terre DOC 2024 © Spaswinefood 
It was a delight into to Cinque Terre wines. Besides the wines there were some local food samples to try, including its famous pesto sauce. Cinque Terre is the bithplace of pesto.
Tasting Local Food & Wines © Spaswinefood 
I did take notice of wine tasting options offered at Enoteca Internazionale. Perhaps you might prefer to opt for a flight of five Cinque Terre red or white wines (one from each town). 
Wine Tasting Offering at Enoteca Internazionale © Spaswinefood 
After the wine tasting I explored the village a little before lunch.
Exploring Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
Part of the charm of exploring Riomaggiore was discovering the best option for lunch. Given I had met up with a few new friends on the tour I joined for lunch at a local restaurant. We ordered a pasta for lunch.
Pasta with Pesto Sauce, Riomaggiore  © Spaswinefood 
Pasta, Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
After an awesome lunch I still had a little time to explore the village some more. 

One of my stops included a church, Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista (Church of St John the Baptist) located on Piazza don Giovanni MinzoniIts construction began in the 1200s, and was completed in 1307. While there are a number of churches in Riomaggiore, this two colored stone (striking façade of  horizontal dark green and white marble stripes) church is well worth visiting. 

Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista

Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista, Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 

All too soon, it was time to return to our pickup point.

Seaside at Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
As I left for the meetup point near the train station, I took another look at those stunning cliffside terraces and ocean views.
Remembering Riomaggiore © Spaswinefood 
Soon we were on the train, and heading back to La Spezia where the bus was waiting to take us to our cruise ship in Livorno's portI was so exited that I managed to make it to Cinque Terre during our stops in the Mediterranean Sea. For a more in-depth introduction to Cinque Terre I would recommend at least a 2-3 day visit. This would allow for a more in-depth exploration of this historic region, walking the hiking trails, exploration of its gastronomic delights and more. I invite you to join me in my Mediterranean Sea travels and elsewhere at Wine Travels with Dr. Sharon, and at Spaswinefood on Bluesky and Facebook. I am so looking forward to sharing more on my vine-filled explorations. 



CHEERS!



Sharon

March, 2026

Cinque Terre, Italy

Cruising Meditteranean

© Spaswinefood

 Ligurian Sea, Cinque Terre © Spaswinefood 

Follow me on Bluesky and Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinque Terre: A tourist favorite and one of Italy's oldest winemaking regions

Cinque Terre , on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline, is home to five historic towns    ( Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Ri...