Wednesday, August 24, 2022

North Greece's Domaine Foundi, Naoussa was an amazing find

My wine travels took me to Domaine Foundi, located 4km outside of Naoussa in North Greece.  This small family winery that has been producing wine since 1992. Their focus is on producing quality Xinomavro wines. My Greek friends know that I am a big fan of Xinomavro since I was first introduced to this wine in 2015; hence when Alexandra recommend this Naoussa winery I had to visit.

Welcome to Domaine Foundi 

Tasting Xinomavro at Domaine Foundi © Spaswinefood

I was happy to sit down with Georgia Foundi and taste Domaine Foundi wines.  I loved their Xinomavro's. All the wines I tasted were 100% Xinomavro.

Domaine Foundi Xinomavro Wines © Spaswinefood

Let's take a closer look at their amazing Xinomavro wines (both PDO and PGI).


1. Katima Foundi, (Trygias) Blanc de Noir, PGI Imathia


Foundi, Blanc de Noir (Xinomavro), PGI Imathia © Spaswinefood

This is a fantastic dry sparkling wine made from Xinomavro grapes.


2. Katima Foundi, White 2021


Katima Foundi White 2021 © Spaswinefood

Foundi White Dry Wine 2021 (back label) © Spaswinefood

3. Ktima Foundi, The Lady of Naoussa Xinomavro 2017

  • Ktima Foundi, The Lady of Naoussa Xinomavro 2017 © Spaswinefood


4. Katima Foundi, Red (Estate Single Vineyard Xinomavro) 2018
Katima Foundi, Red (Estate Single Vineyard Xinomavro) 2018 © Spaswinefood

5. Katima Foundi, Rosé Demi-Sec

Katima Foundi, Rosé Demi-Sec © Spaswinefood

A new discovery for me was their Demi-Sec Xinomavro Rosé wine. The evening before in Thessaloniki  I  first tasted this demi-sec Xinomavro. I also tasted Blanc de Noir Xinomavro wines at that event, and so I have now added Foundi PGI wines (Blanc de Noir and Demi-Sec Rosé) to my list of favorite Xinomavro wines.


Thank You, Domaine Foundi © Spaswinefood

Before sitting down to taste the wines during our visit Georgia took us on a brief tour of the winery.


Barrel Room, Domaine Foundi © Spaswinefood

During my visit I discovered that Foundi produces seven different wines (three red wines, three white, and one rosé). 90% of their wines are produced from Xinomavro grapes. The other 10% are from the varieties, Merlot and Malvasia. 
One of my take aways from my recent visit to North Greece was the amazing range and diversity of Xinomavro wines (both PDO and PGIavailable. Domaine Foundi, with its PDO Naoussa and PGI Xinomavro wines, certainly add to that diversity.


The road is well marked to Strantza Municipality where Ktima Foundi is located.

Strantza, Naoussa © Spaswinefood


Just down the road from the winery there are vineyards and agricultural areas, with fruit trees and more. 


Vineyard in Strantza, Naoussa © Spaswinefood


Naoussa offers so much for visitors to enjoy.


Hard to Beat Naoussa in Late Spring © Spaswinefood


Wine enthusiasts who visit North Greece will soon discover that the Naoussa region is a must.

Why North Greece?

I was most fortunate to arrive in Greece before our 10th Winelover Anniversary celebrations June 2022. Even on a tight schedule I just had to return to NaoussaAccording to legend Semele, mother of Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and fertility, called the area home. She certainly knew that the wines are good here.

Naoussa, North Greece © Spaswinefood

During my earlier visit I not only discovered great wines, but also the beauty of North Greece. Given my tight schedule on my recent trip I decided to focus primarily on Naoussa. The Naoussa Appellation was the first Greek wine region to be made an official appellation in 1971. Wines produced in this appellation are required by appellation law to be made from 100% Xinomavro. Yes, that noble indigenous red grape variety, Xinomavro Moreover, some producers make wines from the international grape varieties, such Merlot and Syrah. These wines because of appellation law, are marketed under the Macedonia PGI label. Domaine Foundi, with its PDO Naoussa and PGI Xinomavro wines, clearly, adds to the many exciting wine developments in North Greece.


Domaine Foundi, Naoussa was an amazing find. Special thanks to Georgia Foundi for being such a wonderful host. Their wines are available in the US through Dionysos Imports. For sure one of my take aways from my recent trip to North Greece was the amazing range and diversity of Xinomavro wines available. Special thanks to Alexandra for assisting us in our North Greece travels. Let me not forget my dear friend Carol Hagen who accompanied me on this adventure. Those who have yet discover today's Greek wines from Northern Greece now is the time. Now is the time to explore Greek WinesI invite you to join me in my wine adventures in Greece at Wine Travels with Dr. Sharon and at Spaswinefood  on  Twitter and Facebook. 


Yamas!


Sharon
June 2022
Naoussa, Greece
© Spaswinefood

Domaine Foundi © Spaswinefood

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let there be celebrations with Albariño

Last spring my wine  travels took me on an  Albariño  pilgrimage to Galician wine country. It began w hen we (Carol and I) crossed into Gali...